Are you an FCPC Member looking for COVID-19 resources? Please visit our Member-Exclusive COVID-19 Resource Page. Please note you will be required to log in.
COVID-19 Updates and Resources
Canada’s food and consumer goods manufacturers make the products Canadians rely on every day, now more than ever. We also employ more than 300,000 people across the country.
With the country coming together to limit the spread of Covid-19 and its impacts, our commitments to our colleagues and team members are clear. Health and safety are our top priorities, and we will do everything we can to make sure Canadians continue to find the products they need on store shelves as this situation evolves.
Read more from our CEO.
As the situation with Covid-19 is rapidly evolving, the public and business should refer to the following resources for the most updated facts and information about the health situation:
- World Health Organization:
- Health Canada:
- Public Health Agency of Canada:
Common questions from the public
Are there food shortages in Canada?
- It is understandably disconcerting to see empty shelves in grocery stores, but that is a result of a short spike in demand as consumers have been preparing.
- Canadian food manufacturers are confident that our supplies and production capacity remain strong. Supplies are already reaching stores, and there is every reason to stay calm and focused. Read more from our CEO.
Can Covid-19 be transmitted via food?
- The government of Canada has concluded: “There is currently no evidence to suggest that food is a likely source or route of transmission of the virus. Scientists and food safety authorities across the world are closely monitoring the spread of COVID-19.”
Can Covid-19 be transmitted via packaging?
- The government of Canada has concluded: “Coronaviruses generally do not survive on surfaces after being contaminated. The risk of spread from products shipped over a period of days or weeks at room temperature is very low. There is no known risk of coronaviruses entering Canada on parcels or packages.”
- Some customers may be concerned about packages in stores and other public places. It is important to practice prevention and good hand hygiene at all times, and consumers can find up-to-date information about prevention and risks here.
Resources for businesses
Information about supply chains
Information about travel and events
Information about planning and preparedness